Usually, we connect the PS4 or any other gaming console to the TV to enjoy our favorite games. However, there are times when we want to take advantage of that extra monitor at your home.
If you are in the same shoes where you are trying to connect the PS4 to monitor, you have landed on the right blog post.
Here, we would show you super-simple steps that you can follow to easily connect the PS4 to the monitor using HDMI, VGA, and Displayport cables.
Connecting the PS4 to the monitor is a little different as compared to connecting the PS4 to the TV. The good news is that you can connect the PS4 to monitor with little effort, and there are various ways of connecting the PS4 to monitor.
Below, we have mentioned all of these methods in great detail that you can follow to easily get connect your PS4 to your monitor.
The HDMI cable is one of the most versatile connectivity options that you can have for connecting the PS4 to the computer monitor.
Unlike the other methods, you do not have to use any sort of adapters or dongles with the PS4 to monitor via HDMI.
Here are the Steps for Connecting the PS4 to Monitor With HDMI:
- Firstly, disconnect the monitor, and the PS4 from the power.
- Afterward, take one end of the HDMI cable and connect it to the PS4.
- Now, take the other end of the HDMI cable and connect it to the monitor.
- Turn on both the PS4, and the monitor, and now you should be able to see the PS4 content on the monitor.
In case you do not have a monitor with a built-in HDMI port, and it comes with an older display connection port like the DVI or the VGA port, then you need to have an adapter or HDMI to VGA/DVI cable depending upon the type of ports on your monitor.
Below, we have compiled all the steps required for connecting the PS4 to the monitor:
- First of all, you need to get the right type of cable or adapter (we recommend getting a cable) that you can connect to the HDMI port on the PS4, and
- Then connect the other part of the cable to the monitor either directly if you have the converted cable, or you can use the adapter as well.
Related Post: How to Overclock a Monitor
The process of connecting the PS4 to a monitor with a DVI port is a little tricky as compared to connecting the PS4 to a monitor with an HDMI port, as in the former process you need to either have the HDMI to DVI adapter or you need to use the HDMI to DVI cable.
Follow the below-mentioned steps to connect the PS4 to the monitor using a DVI port.
- As mentioned earlier, you need to either get the HDMI to DVI cable, or the HDMI to DVI adapter (you can get any of these according to your preference).
- After you have got the right accessory, you need to connect the HDMI cable to the PS4.
- Now, finally, connect the other end of the cable to the monitor and you are good to go.
You can connect the PS4 to a monitor with Displayport connectivity options by either using the HDMI to Displayport cable or by using an HDMI to Displayport adapter.
The process of connecting the PS4 to the monitor with the Displayport is straightforward. Below, we have compiled everything that you need to follow.
- You have to get the right type of cable or adapter according to your convenience.
- Connect the HDMI end of the cable to the PS4 and the Displayport end to the monitor.
- Voila! Now you should be able to watch the content on your Displayport monitor.
Even if you have an outdated VGA monitor, you can still connect the PS4 to a VGA monitor to enjoy gaming. However, you need to have in your mind that the resolution of the PS4 would be limited to the resolution of the VGA monitor.
Here are the steps for connecting the PS4 to the VGA monitor.
- Get an HDMI to VGA adapter, and an HDMI cable.
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable directly to the PS4, and the other end of the HDMI cable to the VGA adapter.
- Now, finally, you have to connect the adapter to the PS4, and you are good to go.
Connecting the PS4 to the HP monitor is a fairly simple task, all you need to have is an HDMI-enabled monitor alongside an HDMI cable.
Below, we have mentioned the steps for connecting the PS4 to the HP monitor with HDMI.
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the PS4 and the other end of the HDMI cable to the HP monitor.
- Turn on both the PS4, and the HP monitor, and you would now be able to see the PS4 content on the HP monitor.
You can connect the PS4 to the Dell monitor directly using the HDMI cable. You simply have to connect one end of the HDMI cable to the PS4, and the other end of the HDMI cable to the Dell monitor.
In this way, you can connect the PS4 to a Dell monitor. Apart from that, you also need to connect the sound of the PS4 to the dell monitor. Below, we have also compiled the steps for connecting the PS4 sound to a Dell monitor.
Connecting the sound of the PS4 to a monitor is a little complicated as compared to the video connecting procedure.
The sound connecting method of the PS4 to monitor varies amongst the type of monitors. Thus, we have compiled a complete in-depth guide that you can follow to get the PS4 sound on your monitor.
Connecting the monitor with the HDMI port and built-in speakers is a pretty straightforward task, and you do not need to put in any further effort.
You will enjoy the sound as well as the video from a single HDMI cable. That means if you do have a monitor with HDMI input, and built-in speakers, you do not need to have any further process.
If you have a monitor with HDMI connectivity, that does not come with the built-in speakers, but has the 3.5mm headphone jack, you can use the 3.5mm jack to connect the speakers and get the sound.
Simply connect the speakers to the 3.5mm headphone jack on the monitor, and you would be able to hear the sound through the speakers.
Connecting the PS4 monitor with the adapter is a fairly easy task. All you need to have is the adapter available according to the type of ports on your monitor.
After having the right type of adapter, all you have to do is to connect the adapter with the HDMI cable, and now you can easily connect the non-HDMI monitor to the PS4 using the adapter.
You can have various types of errors on your monitor while connecting it to the PS4. One of the most common errors that you would encounter is the “Input Not Supported Error”.
The good news here is that, with a little effort, you can easily fix this error and bring your VGA monitor back to work.
Here are the Steps for Fixing PS4 to VGA Monitor Input Not Supported Error:
- Firstly, you need to disconnect the VGA monitor from the PS4.
- Now, search for the maximum resolution supported by the VGA monitor on the manufacturer’s website.
- Connect the PS4 to either an HDMI monitor or a TV.
- Go to Settings>Video Settings>Resolution and change the resolution on the monitor according to the maximum resolution on the VGA monitor.
- Connect the VGA monitor back to the PS4 and you would now see the display on the monitor without any error.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can You Play PS4 on a Monitor Without a PC?
Yes, you can play PS4 on a monitor without a PC. You do not need to have a PC with a monitor working on the PS4. Your monitor would show the signal directly from the PS4.
Is It Possible to Connect the PS4 to a Monitor Without HDMI Port?
Yes, it is possible to connect the PS4 to a monitor that does not come with the HDMI port. Above, we have mentioned all the steps that you need to have in order to connect the PS4 to a monitor with the HDMI port.
Can We Play PS4 on a VGA Monitor?
Despite the fact that you can play the PS4 on a VGA monitor, it is not recommended to play the PS4 on a VGA monitor as the resolution would be too bad.
Connecting PS4 to a monitor is a little tricky compared to a normal TV connection. Thus, we have compiled this step-by-step post, in which we have described different methods that you can use for connecting the PS4 to monitor easily.